The purpose of Downtown SLO Farmers’ Market is to promote business in the Downtown core. The event is organized by, administered by, and paid for by the SLO Downtown Association. The SLO Downtown Association is an advisory body to the City Council and is created and operated under state and local laws. The Downtown Association administers Downtown SLO Farmers’ Market in order to:
- create a positive image of Downtown San Luis Obispo
- expose community members to retail stores and services offered in Downtown
- generate foot traffic on Thursday nights
- provide a forum for community activities
- maintain the Downtown as the center of retail, social, and civic activities enhance the community as a whole
The Downtown SLO Farmers’ Market Committee meets the second Wednesday of each month at 8 AM in the Downtown Association office. The purpose of the Downtown SLO Farmers’ Market Committee is to develop a comprehensive schedule for promotional activities which are part of the weekly event; develop promotional activities designed to enhance retail trade and traffic during the event; coordinate weekly events including entertainment, space allocations, janitorial maintenance, street closure procedures, and special activity supervision.
Further, the committee establishes rules and regulations for the event, reviewed as determined necessary, supervises finances relating to the event, coordinates an information booth during the event, and works in conjunction with the promotions committee to enhance the Downtown Association district.
Downtown SLO Farmers’ Market Committee Members
- Kannyn January – Ambiance Clothing Boutique; Committee Chair, Board of Directors
- Doug Shaw – Sanctuary Tobacco Shop; Alternate Committee Chair, Board of Directors
- Lou Escoto – Union Bank
- Moez Bensalem – Baba Foods
- Nancy Snyder – Mo’s Smokehouse
- Peter Jankay – SLO County Farmers’ Market Association, FMA
- Ron Meier – ASH Management